Sunday, August 25, 2013

I Am So A Millennial. Jealous?

Not long ago, I was definitely not a fan of "young people" in general, complaining about all the things wrong with them.  To be far, I hated teenagers practically from the moment that I stopped being one.  But after doing some research and some soul searching I learned that, while a lot of now young twenty somethings are obnoxious and annoying, I do share many traits.   I guess that's what happens w/ generations, where the span sometimes 20+ years.  I think it's more growing up and being annoyed by youngsters, who you so weren't that annoying a few years ago when you were that age.  But I digress.

What really made me realize and embrace my Millennial identity was entering the workforce and really experiencing the differences between my generation and older generations.  So, I thought I would go over some of the characteristics of being a Millennial and then my thoughts.  Here we go!

One of the most broadcasted traits of Millennials is probably the one that pisses me off the most, b/c while it can be true w/ many young adults, it's also unfair to label us this w/o examining the cause.   Yes, the Millennial generation is also called Generation Me.  And Yes, there is often a sense of entitlement among members of my generation, even when such entitlement is unwarranted.  I know more than one person as a young twenty something who just assume someone should give them a job b/c they deserved it, w/o actually getting any education or working hard or doing any trying of any kind. So, yes, that exists.  And true, sometimes I feel entitled to more than I have, b/c I am educated and really smart.  But I was also raised with a great work ethic and the knowledge that most people have to work there way up, so while I know I can and will do great things, I know I have to work for it and pay my dues.

Which brings me to my point: maybe Millennials wouldn't feel such a sense of entitlement if it wasn't for the generation that raised them!  

Think about.  Granted, I have no actual statistics, but from personal knowledge I can deduce that the majority of Millennials were raised by Baby Boomers. Duh, duh, duh.  And let's be real, Baby Boomers are probably, as a single generational entity, super greedy and selfish.  I have heard and read so much about that generation.  They are (probably) the ones who killed our environment and busted our economy.  But beyond that, think about how it was as a kid being raised by the Baby Boomers.  In my lifetime technology has advanced and changed more than it probably has over the rest of time, ever, or pretty darn close.  And I always felt that as a culture during my lifetime there was this sense of you had to have the most recent gadget, item, outfit, technology, whatever, and if your parents didn't buy it for you they were bad parents.  Ummm, I pretty sure this mentality wasn't the Millenials' fault; we were just kids!  Rather, it was our parental generation, buying us stuff by creating and giving into this idea.  So, when you are raised w/ the mentality that it's culturally required to get everything new and what you want when you want it, then how can older generations be shocked that we have a sense of entitlement.  Granted, it's not true that every kid got every new thing when it came out, but those of us (myself included) who couldn't keep up w/ trends (often b/c of money) we definitely felt disadvantaged b/c of the way the attitudes were.

But it gets better!  Because not only did the Baby Boomers raise a generation to expect everything, they are also the jerks that brought you the unpaid internship.  So, all the opportunity that the Baby Boomers got to make themselves successful, they took away from our generation just in time for us to enter the workforce, so they could get even more while we may just be screwed as a generation.  Well, maybe, if you count your success and worth as a person by money, which I don't and as a generation, we don't all do either.

That's probably my favorite part, and the part I most relate to, as a Millennial: Not necessarily subscribing to the old fashioned way of living your life.  Older generations expect Millennials to enter the workforce and have the same attitudes about it.  They expect us to want to enter big fancy jobs, work 1000+ hours a week (Hyperbole is the best thing ever!!), all for the sake of one day being a big fancy head honcho.  Millennials, however, as a generation don't feel that way.  Look at the lawyer market, for example.  Many younger lawyers now are not interested in the big law jobs, working ridiculous hours to one day become a partner.  The law market is changing, partly because younger lawyers don't really want to marry a law firm and become a partner.  People are wanting jobs that give them more time w/ family.  I personally really need my time outside of work for identity purposes.  I like my time to indulge in other activities, and even at work I like to be able to express myself as an individual (like my totally nerded out cubicle.)

Another characteristic is that we are more creative.  I think this is a real plus, especially in the workforce.  Sometimes older generations can be scared or put off by Millennials' different way of thinking and doing things.  However, if we learn to embrace each other I think there are great opportunities to make some great things happen in the workforce.  I think Millennials could learn some things from older generations, and I think Millennials can bring some real creativity and innovation if given the chance and understanding.  Personally, I am always thinking differently and coming up w/ odd ideas.  I love to write and I love music, which I think in general helps expand my mind to make me better at ideas and thinking.

Now, there are other qualities, and it's an interesting exercise to look into, so if you are interested I suggest you do some learning like I did.  I am only going to discuss one more aspect, but it's the one that I think makes a big difference: technology.  Technology is everywhere.  And it's always changing. I remember, vaguely, a time before the Internet.  I sometimes have found memories of Dos.  But I also am so glad to be rid of dial up and crazy slow Internet.  Did you know some people still have AOL? Who knew that even still existed?

That's why I think Millennials have a double advantage over older generations when it comes to technology.  First, we grew up using technology for practically everything.  It's nothing to me to have to use a new program because I am used to technology.  I used to think it funny when reading job descriptions and them saying you have to know how to use a particular program.  For me, a program is a program is a program.  I know from past technology use that programs often have similar functionalities and are made in a way that an experience tech user should be able to use it w/o much trouble.  Words are used in similar fashion and often things are set up in familiar ways.  I learned a lot on Excel just be thinking "hmm, I know how to do x, I wonder if I just mess around w/ a few things then maybe I can do y."  But then I realized that some older people aren't use to technology.  They can't just troubleshoot on their own.  To them, each program is an entirely new beast that's daunting to learn and they have to be shown everything step by step to do anything.  And it's hard for some people to learn technology and become comfortable with it.

The second advantage we have as a generation is not only are we used to technology, but we are used to it constantly changing.  Just think about it.  Now matter how cranky people get when Facebook changes, and no matter how long I put off updating iTunes, once the changes are made, I get used to them and get over it.  Unless the changes are so bad that it makes functionality unmanageable (and that rarely happens) we just tend to grumble and move on.  And sometimes we get really excited about new stuff!  Older people, on the other hand, can have difficulty w/ such rapid change.  They are just getting used to some technology, which was already difficult in the first place, just to have it change, and they aren't adapted to adjust.

So basically, I identify w/ my generation, even if I am on the cusp right there in the front.  Maybe, as am older Millennial, I have a chance to lead my younger peers and teach them well, and to help bridge the gap.  Maybe? Idk.  What I do know is that I like being a Millennial. I don't think we are better than any other generation.  However, we are here, we're coming up in the world, and I think other generations need to be ready for us and learn to work with us.  It could be fun, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment