Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Literary Boyfriend

So, recently, an amazing friend of mine asked me who my ideal literary (i.e. from books) boyfriend would be.  I found this a tough question, to which she then allowed me to combine more than one man.  I was glad for this, since I found any individual difficult to meet all of my personality interests in one.  Idk if this is b/c literary characters aren't dynamic enough, or if I just have too many, crazy requirements.  If you remember my discussion of Sense and Sensibility, you'll note I basically want me, with a penis, and perhaps some tattoos and facial piercings.  It's like that SNL skit for MeHarmony.com, where the cast were matched w/ a person of the opposite sex that was just them in drag.

So, I thought this idea of my literary boyfriend was interesting, and therefore perhaps worth a blog post.  Plus, I had a number of thoughts about it that I thought I should put together, as I have expanded more on my reasoning for each man.  So, I guess these are in the order in which I thought of them, so I can walk the thought process through.  I really think that if this dude were real, it could be awesome, or insane.  Here goes nothing...

(1) Fitzwilliam Darcy
I cannot help it!  I am such a Pride and Prejudice fan, and I love the relationship b/t Lizzy and Darcy.  (Perhaps one day I will regale you with my thought on P & P).  Admittedly, what I love so much about that relationship is the interplay of how they were mean and disliked each other, but then fell in love.  And as someone who's had a history of enjoy the witty (and sometimes admittedly mean) banter, I am naturally drawn to this relationship.  Plus, as I see myself as very Lizzy Bennet-ish, it would make sense that I could love a Darcy if she could.

But more than that, I love his loyalty to his friend and how he loves his sister.  I also think that if he were around in a modern setting, he'd be perhaps less rigid, you know w/o the formal class system and all the propriety.  I recently watch The Lizzy Bennet Diaries on YouTube, which is a web series that sets P & P in modern times, and I love they way they portray Darcy there.  I imagine he'd be like that, perhaps rigid and pompous seeming, but also really kind of shy and awkward.  And hot! Not that I've ever seen a version of Darcy that I didn't find hot. ;)  Lastly, I'd love a guy with a house like Pemberly. Jk.  While that's true, it'd be more a fringe benefit than an actual attraction, b/c let's be honest, I couldn't put up with an ill-fitting boyfriend just for the house, even if Pemberly is awfully nice.

(2) Peeta Mellark
Just for clarification, this is in a "he wouldn't be too young for me" sort of way.  And besides, it's more that characteristics and not the actual character, since this is an amalgam that I am creating.  Plus, I have this issue.  It's like, when I was a teenager, all the celebrities I liked were in their 20's, so I couldn't wait to be in my 20's so they'd be age appropriate.  Only, once I got into my 20's, now all the celebs I like are in their 30's (despite being a mostly different group of guys).  So, I guess w/ the combined ages of all the guys, more at the end of their stories than the beginning, the composite guy would be age appropriate.  Also, 1/2 English.

So, anyway, I love Peeta b/c he's sooooo romantic.  He says the most amazingly sweet things.  Katniss may have issues with those things he says, but I just eat them up.  *swoon*  I also like how he's not the alpha male type.  He's strong and fights, but emotionally he's so much more sensitive than I think an average man is.  I like this a lot.  Plus, who wouldn't want to marry a baker?  I also REALLY love bread.  Okay, granted, I think that in real life Peeta might not be that interesting, and I don't see him as the type to have Doctor Who marathons with me, but everyone could use some romance, right?

(3) Rhett Butler
MmMmmMMMMmMMmmmm... Wait, what?! Sorry, I got distracted.  I absolutely LOVE Rhett Butler (and the casting in the movie = so hot!!).  This may be another draw b/c of the drama, only I am so NOT a Scarlett O'Hara.  I just love Rhett's sass and his just being all manly and doing what he wants and being direct with it.  Plus, I think beneath it all he was sensitive and caring, and he was definitely determined.  With me, he wouldn't have had to be such an ass, since I would be such a bitch.  However, I am glad to add some other dudes in the mix, kind of mellow him out.

(4) George Weasley
So, when I originally gave my answer, I thought I was confident in it and therefore done.  However, upon further introspection, I realized that my literary boyfriend, while romantic and w/ a strong personality, he'd be kinda boring, or at least too serious.  So, I thought, where do I get some humor?  I am at heart a humorous person, so I needed my guy to have a source of humor.  And that's when I realized the person person to add: George Weasley.

You may wonder, why George?  And not some other Weasley.  It's funny, b/c I always loved the fun that Fred and George always had.  Yet, I definitely had a preference for George.  I used to think I was a little nuts for liking one more than the other, but then I read something from J.K. Rowling that said there was a difference, where Fred was more the leader and George was more reserved about some stuff.  That was what I saw, and I think that's why I like George better.  And, I know this is going to sound bad, but I picked the right one, right?  Only, my amalgam guy is going to have 2 ears, but he should totally be a ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment