Thursday, August 1, 2013

Doctor Who Could Use Some Shapening Up, and I've Got Some Ideas ;^)


So, as you may have figured out previously, I am a huge fan of Doctor Who (well the reboot, as I've not watched the classic episodes).  However, I did notice that lately, especially the 2nd half of series 8, it's been a bit of a let down.  I was particularly frustrated w/ the Clara mystery, as I tried to figure it out on my own, yet it turned out to be something that wasn't hinted at at all during the season (not like previous mysteries) and then it was revealed and solved all in such a short time that I found it disappointing.

However, as a fan of some serious sci-fi fantasy, I know that many times shows can hit lulls and low points, (like, say, Supernatural season 6, geez).  So, with some analysis of past mistakes, a few new clever ideas, and some great writing, I think it can get back up to snuff.  Plus, there is an impending announcement, which could give a needed boost in the form of a new Doctor.  And, since I have lots of thinking time and power, I came up w/ a few ideas myself. And knowing all too well that ideas are not legally protected, I mention them with all full knowledge that they can be taken by the show's writers, and if they are any good, please do take them.  I just would like to reserve bragging rights.  :^D

1. Step down, already, Steven Moffat!  This needs to happen. Yes, he's done a lot of great things for the show, even things that make your head ache from the tears and make your heart break.  But it just seems to me that whatever he had for the show has been spent and it's time to hand the reigns over to someone else.  Besides, you want to go out on a high note.

2. Pull a Claudia Brown/Jennifer Lewis time oopsie.  I like other English sci-fi, like the ever so awesome Primeval.  (Side note: Andrew Lee Potts, future Doctor?  Think about it, it'd be awesome!)  Anyway, if you've never seen the show, basically there are these anomalies in time that lead all over Earth time, and lots of prehistoric creatures sneak through.  Well, at one point the super bitch Helen messes with time to somehow cause the rewriting of her estranged husband's love interest's life history. So, suddenly Claudia Brown is Jennifer Lewis and no one has any memory of the 1st version of life other than the poor, heartsick husband.  They totally need to do this on Doctor Who! Have the Doctor meet a companion, get everyone to love her to bits, and then have the Doctor screw with time somehow to where suddenly she disappears from where ever they are.  Then, the Doctor finds her somewhere back on Earth as a whole new person, that we then get to know and love, although there are marked differences.  The Doctor can either remember her or not.

3. Make many people's fan fiction fantasy come true!!  I particularly love this idea because it brings together plot points from David Tennant's Doctor, it involves casting an already one considered actor, and it makes some serious fantasies come true.  Okay, first, you they have to cast Russell Tovey as the Doctor (preferably soon because people aren't getting any younger).  Now, if you've seen Doctor Who you may remember that Russell Tovey was on the Titanic episode, where he played the assistant pilot, captain, driver, whatever of the space Titanic.  His character was Alonso.  You may also remember he pops up again at the end of The End of Time, where the Doctor (played by David Tennant again) helps Captain Jack Harkness get flirty w/ Alonso.  So, you may be catching on to what I've done here.  The Doctor is now Russell Tovey, who realizes at one point "hey, I've met this guy before."  Then the Doctor goes onto the space Titanic because he knows he already did and has to help his earlier self save people.  He also picks the name Alonso because he did say he always wanted to say "Alonse, Alonso."  Bit too much of a coincidence, right, unless he did it for himself!!  But wait, there's more!  This also means that he set his future regeneration up with Captain Jack.  And of course as it already happened, and the Doctor can't not give his friend a nice time, and it would be awesome, the Russell Tovey version of the Doctor hooks up with Captain Jack.  I know Jack's wanted it, and I know the fans have wanted it.  So, why not, right?

4. Captain Jack Spawns.  How about the Doctor gets a new companion who, through a season of hints and buildup, turns out to be the child of Captain Jack?  I know I've played the scenario out in my head a number of times.  I also know I can't be the only fan who has thought about it (i.e. rumors about Clara).  You could even make her an American.  I of course volunteer to play her. Obviously.  My scenario has always been some variation of the US government somehow farmed out Captain Jack's genetic material for secret government experiments.  The experiments could be like trying to make everyone not die like Jack does, they have some alien DNA they are trying to splice with human to make super humans and need resilient genetic material, or something along those lines.  And then she'd have some extra human power, like not dying like her dad, aging really slowly, or super smart.  Then, she meets the Doctor, he learns her special powers, and then the mystery is solved.  The daughter meeting her father can be optional, but more fun for audiences.  Maybe meet him as the Face of Boe AND Captain Jack.

5.  I have a fun plot idea.  Have 1/2 of an episode, or maybe a whole one, where the Doctor and his companion are doing something trying to save whomever.  The tone should be scary or intense.  During the whole escapade they get little clues or help from an unknown source, like a door that suddenly opens or rocks thrown at them to get their attention.  Then, once they figure everything out and save the day, they realize that all those little clues were done by them.  (Something in the end can give them the hint.)  That way, in the 2nd half or the next, related episode, they have to trace all their steps to help themselves out in the exact same way, without letting their past selves unto that it's them.  The companion can ask something like "what happens if we fail" and the Doctor can reply with something like "everyone we saved could die, the Universe could implode and cease to exist, or nothing.  I don't know."  The second bit can be really funny, like how they dodge, zigzag, and weave to avoid getting noticed.  I know there are some episodes with elements like this, but I think it'd be cool to see something more complex, especially where they HAVE to do the same thing.  I get so tired of them changing the past to fix issues.  It's kind of like how Harry and Hermione go back with the time turner in Prisoner of Azkaban, where they HAVE to get things done the same way.

6. Let's Have Some Consequences.  I think there is a little too much of something really bad happens, like a death or the end of the Universe, and then time gets changed to fix it all right again.  Honestly, the show needs to go back to where there are consequences to actions, and the day is saved through honest smarts and hard work, not just rewriting time.  And there need to be consequences, like with Donna and Rose.  But there need to NOT be consequences like with Amy and Rory, where it's total B.S. because they've been saved 1,000 times before, so enough making things up that seem against all the other B.S. that gets pulled and yet made alright in the end.

7. Doctor Who does The Tudors.  This is really more of a hope of mine, since if I were ever to be asked to travel in the Tardis with The Doctor, I'd request to go to Tudor England and meet Henry the 8th.  There are plenty of fun points in his lifetime to make for some fun Doctor Who.  While I love Jonathan Rhys Meyers, I always thought he was too hot to play Henry VIII, especially in the later years when I'm sure the real king had some crazy STD issues.  It would be fun to play up some of those historical inaccuracies.  Plus, it'd be funny if King Henry wanted to make the companion his next wife. I also liked to say that King Henry would have been very displeased to see himself played on TV by an Irishman, and so a line from the Doctor to that affect could be funny.

8. Let Joss Whedon executive produce the show.  Okay, I know that Joss Whedon is currently tied up with Marvel, and would probably never even want to do Doctor Who, but as an epic nerd fan, and a very loyal Whedonite, I wouldn't mind seeing what would happen. ;^)



Dayna's Fantasy Doctor Casting

Since the identity of 12 is imminent, I thought it would be fun here for a moment to fantasize about how could play the Doctor, despite the improbability.  Most likely it will be some actor I've never heard of, but I went through my list of fav British actors and picked a few I'd like to see, even if just for kicks.

Rupert Grint: I think he's adorable, and the Doctor wants to be a ginger.

Liam Neeson: This is a long, long shot, but it would be badass and epic!  Plus, think of all the fun references that could be made.  There could be light sabers, and someone could kidnap the companion.  Maybe one episode the Doctor could have his consciousness transferred to a lion. So many awesome and/or ridiculous things could happen.

Alan Rickman: We could always have a more serious, moody Doctor.  This would be very interesting, right?  Plus, he's still pretty fine for someone his age.

Dominic Cooper:  While I do highly appreciate the yumminess of David Tennant and Matt Smith, why not a just plan crazy hot Doctor?  MmmMMmmMmMmMMMMmmmm...Ooops, sorry, got lost in thought a moment.

Jack Davenport: Personally, I absolutely love Jack Davenport.  He's hot, a great actor, and awesome.  I think he also has a great acting range for the Doctor.  Mostly people may know him from very serious roles, but he is also hilarious, which I think someone playing the Doctor really needs.  Plus, I read somewhere the show people wanted someone older, but I am sure the fangirls want someone delicious. So, for me at least, this idea works.

Michael Gambon, Ian McCellan, or Christopher Lee: Can you see a theme here?  Maybe an epic wizardly sort would be a fun idea.  The long white beard and hair can be optional.

Benedict Cumberbatch: It may be too much awesome (and time commitment) for him to be Sherlock Holmes and the Doctor, but I think he'd be good, even if maybe on the more serious side.

Andrew Lee Potts: (Also see note above).  Granted, I wasn't the biggest fan of Conner Temple and Primeval at first, and didn't see what all the girls on the Internet were all crazy about.  But he grew on me, and I saw him in the Alice in Wonderland reimagination "Alice" done on scyfy where he was the Mad Hatter.  I think the Doctor needs someone with a bit of goofiness to him.

Paul Bettany: Seriously, who doesn't love him?  I think this would be fun.  While I am throwing all kinds of crazy ideas out here, let's add this one to the pile.

Matthew Lewis:  I'm thinking we need a Doctor who was in Harry Potter (you know, for more than 5 minutes w/ a better character than the not so great hack job they did w/ Barty Crouch Jr.'s character).  Besides, he can be all "So what Harry Potter got to be the Chosen One.  I get to be the Doctor."


Okay, I think I have reached the bottom of my barrel of ideas, as bad as most of them probably are.  But who knows, maybe one of my bad ideas could give the show's people a good idea.  It could happen, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment