Friday, September 6, 2013

If You Can't Use It Right, Don't Use It At All!!

I have a handful of interesting pet peeves, many of them odd.  I also have a very strong feeling about people using the language correctly.  I feel that over time it's bad for language in general, and being able to communicate w/ people who supposedly speak the same language.  So, you can imagine that I am big on people using words and phrases correctly.  Honestly, it's not that hard.  If you don't know what a word means or how a phrase is supposed to be used, don't use it.  Because, honestly, you just sound dumb!!

My biggest phrase usage pet peeve is when people use the phrase "Catch 22."  The next time I hear someone use this wrong, I may just scream and throw a public fit.  And part of the problem is that I just recently heard a very intelligent, professional person use this phrase incorrectly.  Yikes!!  It's funny, because I never really heard many people use the phrase, correctly or otherwise.  But for some reason lately people have been using it like crazy, and using it wrong!

Admittedly, it's not an easy phrase to necessarily understand.  I get it, because when I tried to explain it, I found it difficult to explain in words.  That being said, if it is THAT difficult, don't use it! Period!  But, here goes nothing.  I found it most helpful to read the Wikipedia article.  That explained it much better than I can.

The phrase "Catch 22" comes from a book of the same name. (It's a good book but also somewhat difficult to follow).  Basically, Catch 22 in the book is a law about requirements for people in the military, and pops up all the time to cause trouble to the characters in the book.  The basis from the phrase as it is/should be used is an issue faced in the book.

See, what happens is the main character, Yossarian, and a lot of his cohorts are military pilots during WWII.  The government originally told them they only had to fly so many missions before they are discharged from the military.  But over time the number keeps getting increased, so no one gets discharged.  And seeing how it's WWII and the flight missions are crazy dangerous (with most men dying eventually) you can imagine why these guys get peeved. So Yossarian wants to prove himself crazy.  See, under Catch 22, if you are crazy, you can be discharged from the military.  However, for this to happen, you have to yourself prove that you are crazy.  But wait! If you can prove you're crazy, you are obviously sane enough to realize it, and thus not crazy.  It's a Catch 22!  Or to attempt an explanation, it's a problem where just the nature of the problem makes the outcome impossible.

I think the better to understand example comes from the sequel Closing Time (also a really good book). In this book the President is no longer in office (I forget whether he's impeached or resigns).  Therefore, the VP is now the President.  Well, in protest the Chief Justice of the Supreme steps down.  So, the VP wants to get sworn in, but can't b/c there is no Chief Justice to do it.  And the only way to get a new Chief Justice to swear him in is to have one appointed by the President (which they didn't have).  Idk if this is actually possible in real life, but you can see how the problem works.  They can't get a new President w/o a Chief Justice, which they can't get w/o a President.  It's a Catch 22!!

Get it?  Not yet?  Well, I find the concept easier to understand w/ examples, so I have another one.  The particular example hits close to home, and given the state of the economy and trouble for young people, it may hit home for a lot of other people as well.  It goes like this: I need a job, but to get a job I need experience, but to get the experience I need to get a job. >_<  I've been there.  Many other people have too.  And guess what?  It's a Catch 22!!!

Get it now?  Well, if not, look it up somewhere else or you just will never get it and thus cannot use the phrase.  Let me tell you what is NOT a Catch 22.  The incorrect use that I always hear is when someone is listing two crappy choices, neither of one which you want to chose, but have to, and then say, "oh well, it's a Catch 22."  But it's not!!!!  If there is choice that can be seen to a conclusion, no matter how crappy, it's not a Catch 22.  It sucks, and I am sure there is a name for that, but not Catch 22.

So hey!  Now you know something new.  And if you want a phrase to explain the immediately above situation, look it up.  And you may learn a few more things.  But whatever you do, just don't use Catch 22 incorrectly in front of me.  I may not have control by then of my reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment