Monday, April 14, 2014

I've Got Issues Stuck in My Head

So, I'm thinking the title of this post is misleading...aaaaaaaaand it may have been on purpose.  See, by "Issues" I mean this awesome band that I love, and so by "Stuck in My Head" I mean I have their various songs playing in my head.  And I've got the music stuck in my car stereo, and stuck on my iPod.  It's amazing how many times I've listen to the music in the last 2-3 months.

I love new music.  I am always on the listen to add something new to my music collection, whether it's a new band, or an old band, or an old band's new album.  And even though many people may not share my musical tastes, I think they can understand the sentiment.  I discover bands in different ways.  For example, I like to buy compilation albums for genres I like and I follow Alternative Press (love them!!).

And that's basically how I discovered Issues.  The first time I heard them (I only realized later) was on the 2013 released Punk Goes Christmas.  They did an exceptional cover of "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays."  As a '90s boy band aficionado, and a huge N'SYNC fan, I thought this was pretty epic.  And I like the other little song snippet they threw in there for flavor.  (My cousin/roommate caught it and thought it was awesome).  Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpx2iJfy554

Now, after hearing this, I thought for sure that I had heard some of their other music before.  With the number of compilation songs I get, it sometimes becomes hard to remember the artist and song title for all the random songs.  But when I actually checked my music collection, turns out I didn't know any of their other music.  I had only heard about them and how awesome they are from following AP.

It turns out that it's pretty obvious I hadn't heard anything else by them, b/c if I had I would have been "OMG, I NEED this music" much sooner.  AP released their Most Anticipated Music of the Year issue, so of course I got it.  I wanted to see who I know is releasing music in 2014, and who I may need to try out b/c they're awesome enough to be in the issue.  And in this issue was Issues.

At that point I realized I just had to check them out iTunes.  This was in January, before their full length album release when there was only the Black Diamonds EP and a couple other songs.  I admit, I was a little hesitant at first, because I was only just recently coming around to liking an extreme mix of the loud rock w/ other genres.  So, I was both curious and cautious about Issues' mix of metalcore w/ peppy, top 40s music.  But I came around to love soon enough, somewhere around track 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9iakgFD7hI

Once I heard this song, I was pretty much hooked and had to buy all the songs!  And then once the full album came out I had to buy that too, sound unheard, which means a lot in Dayna music buying land, because I only buy music from a few select bands w/o listening to it first.  So, now I have enough song for a decent sized playlist and to get me all the way to work in the morning.

I love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK8qFw7pOD0
And even though most of the rest of the song doesn't pertain to me, I find the first couple of lines come to mind lately. >_<  Same sentiment with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvcW_s0FCo

And the first single is pretty epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn55oxf6gCg
I love how it's very loud, and then gets the R&B break down toward the end.  And this one is a kind of guilty pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSRalkLkWjY
I can't decide when I drive with the windows down if I want to turn the volume down or up. Muahaha.

In my quieter, more introspective moments, I find myself asking "Dear sad ghost, why'd you put your heart on a shelf."  That's pretty darn poignant, if you ask me. *sigh* Aaaaaaaaand now I have that last video song in my head.  On that note...

No comments:

Post a Comment