Thursday, July 11, 2013

Because Eventually I'll Hate Every Song Ever

Like many people, I watch a lot of TV shows, and since I don't actually have cable, my preferred method is using Hulu and Netflix.  And, truth be told, I enjoy watching a season straight through.  I think I've lost the patience to wait a week for the next episode of a show I like.  That's why I like to stream shows that have already ended, so there's no waiting for the next episode or the next season.

However, I have encountered a problem with watching a whole season through (in maybe a couple weeks, perhaps less if I have the time and insanity.)  This problem has to do with TV theme songs.

Now, TV has a great history with theme songs.  Many of them are memorable, and I have plenty of them in my music collection.  My personal favorite in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer theme, since it rocks.  There are definitely some good ones out there, and since they are from a TV show, the songs can bring back some fond memories.  Of course, there are some theme songs that make me cringe and want to grind my teeth.  Any time I hear the Dawson's Creek theme song I get twitchy. Eek!

I used to like it when they made songs the theme for a show, like you take a song it becomes popular because of the show, or you take a popular song to help a show be popular.  Of course, there are those TV themes that are from songs, but you couldn't actually name or sing a significant part of the song w/o wikipedia.  Like how the Scrubs theme was a full song, but I didn't realize that until they played the whole thing once.  Or like the time I heard the whole, weird song that they took the House theme from.

Later, I decided that the best themes were songs made specifically for the show.  I think that gives the theme a little more of a personal touch, because it was made to fit the show.

But then, the time of the DVD and streaming video allowed me to watch multiple episodes in a day, a week, a month.  And that's how I've grown to dislike most TV show theme songs.  Some still hold up after many episodes.  I still enjoy the How I Met Your Mother theme, despite more than once watching 6-7 seasons in a row (over the course of a couple months, maybe less, I don't remember).  I can now however pretty much sing the whole song, despite not having actual lyrics.  And I have yet to grow tired of the Doctor Who theme.  Maybe it's because I love Doctor Who too, or because it's short, or it's good, idk.

However, there are some themes that now drive me nuts.  I have, have, have to skip pass the Bones theme, because it makes me angry.  Just hearing it makes me edgy.  And even though I only binge watched one season, the New Girl theme (despite it usually being REALLY short), is probably the most irritating of all time. >_<

I much appreciate Smash and Glee, since there's really no big to do.  Maybe it's because they are shows full of songs, they don't need theme songs.  But my favorite TV theme, and I use that word very broadly, is from Lost.  Yes, Lost.  That short "bong" noise, a flash of the title, and then one to the show.  No fuss, no muss, nothing obnoxious to get in your head. Perfection!

Now, idk if I am necessarily advocating for the eradication of TV theme songs.  I do enjoy many of them, and they can be fun when they pop up on my iTunes.  However, at the very least someone needs to change how the themes are put on the DVD's and streaming.  Really, if the show is on DVD or streaming you really don't need the theme EVERY episode.  How about once a disc, every 4-5 episodes or so, or maybe even just once a season.  And for shows w/ longer themes, you could at least cut them down or out once in awhile for those that watch each week.  (But let's avoid making the short version too annoying, otherwise it'll be like when I walk around unintentionally going "It's Jess" and then wanting to punch myself in the face.)  Or, alternatively they could just write songs so awesome that you don't mind listening to them 100 times in a week (if such a song exists).

No comments:

Post a Comment